Pages

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

"Passionada"

I watched this movie this morning when I woke up. It was a good movie! When I first saw the title, I thought it had to do with Spanish, but then I looked again. "Passionada" is spelled how it is in Portuguese! Now I know why my friend suggested it to me. :)

The movie is about a Portuguese widow and her daughter and thier quests for love. Although the mother resists it as much as she can, as she is still hung up on her husband that was lost at sea, she eventually gives in and has a good time. There is a little bit of a more complicated twist when lies are told and deals are made, but the ending is an upbeat one. :)

In the first 20 minutes or so, the mother sings fado music in a bar. It's a beautiful song! And I was especially intrigued because I had just finished a class in which I learned about the origins of fado. It's a beautiful, sad kind of music that you do not dance to. The lyrics are often hard to understand, but there is so much emotion in the voice of the singer that it doesn't matter.

This was a good movie! Thanks for suggesting it! :-D


No comments: