Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Weekly Photo 1.30.11

I am posting a second photo this week because without realizing it, I skipped  last week.
The reason for this particular photo is that I was reminded of it during a phone conversation last night with my Dad. His father's sister passed away over a week ago at the age of 103. We started talking about the cemetery at the small church on top of the hill on Scotch Ridge and I remembered the time I walked through there in 2007 with Grampa. The cemetery sits atop a hill next to the church that, up until a few years ago, was merely a one-room church with an outhouse. (They have since added on a gathering area, running water, and bathrooms.)
The tombstones date well into the 1800's and some are sinking or leaning over. Some are so eroded the names can't even be read.
At one point during our walk that day, Grampa placed his hand on the corner of one of the newer tombstones for leverage to walk back up the hill. I captured that moment with my camera and below is the resulting photo.

Taken in 2007, Scotch Ridge Church, Martins Ferry, Ohio

No comments: