Pages

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chicago Construction Challenge!

It's been a busy week between homework for school, homework for work, and preparing to be out of town for the weekend. About Friday midday I'll be heading to Chicago to help my Mom with an event called Construction Challenge. Below is a quote from the website:
"To help develop the workforce of the future, the Association of Equipment Manufacturers (AEM), presenting sponsor Volvo Construction Equipment, and Destination ImagiNation® (DI) are kicking off the 2010-11 Construction Challenge. Construction Challenge provides participants a real-world experience that will inspire them to explore and pursue careers in the construction industry.
High school teams will compete and solve transportation and water infrastructure Challenges using creativity, teamwork and problem solving. Teams of five (5) to seven (7) participants (plus an adult Team Manager) will compete at 9 Regional Rallies across North America, and the top 24 teams will advance to the Championship Finals at CONEXPO/CON-AGG in Las Vegas in March 2011." --ConstructionChallenge.org (http://constructionchallenge.org/index.php/who-we-are/about)
I've been a part of this for a few years now, always because my Mom has been involved in some big way. At least twice she's been the Chicago Rally Leader and responsible for recruiting teams from across her region to compete. The latest update I've heard is that she's gotten 40+ teams to sign up!

After I arrive on Friday evening, I'm sure I'll be helping set up for Saturday morning. Saturday is the big day and we'll be waking up super early and we'll be ready to start getting teams checked in by 7:30am or so. I'm not sure what I'll be doing after registration... My role might include taking photos, working in the score room, or any number of things! I can't wait to see what the challenges are this year - - and what the high schoolers come up with for their solutions!

No comments: