Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Creative Project: End Result & Gallery Show

Dad, me, and Mom, "Journeys" show opening, Main Street Gallery, St. Clairsville, Ohio
(Photo by Brad Schrum, June 2013)
In June, the gallery show opened as planned with beautiful works from very talented people in the Ohio Valley area. The show was held at the Main Street Gallery, in the back of the Hays Landscape Architecture Studio on Main Street in downtown St. Clairsville, Ohio.

The theme of the show was "Journeys".

Journeys can take many different forms... physical journeys from Point A to Point B, personal journeys of growth, etc. There was a mix of photographs, paintings, poems, and even a quilt that came all the way from Bowling Green, Ohio whose image documented a bird species that's nearing extinction.

Some featured artists wrote their own poem, while others had their poem accompany another artist's piece. Each artist had an opportunity to explain how the journey theme was represented in their piece and/or read their poem.

Although my piece doesn't encompass my 'talent' in photographic composition and detail, it tells a story - my story.

Some time ago, a friend pointed out that I take a lot of photos of my feet. Nothing spectacular in terms of photographic quality, but more like, "I was here," while capturing a small detail of the location. I decided to combine my self-portrait project into the "Journeys" theme and incorporate these photos.

Self-portrait for "Journeys" gallery show
(in progress, May 2013)
In my search, I found photos I took of my feet as far back as 2004, when I lived in Miami, Florida for school. The locations the photos were taken range from several locations in Ohio and Illinois, a cruise ship in the Caribbean, New York City, Wisconsin, etc. Looking at all the photos together, I could tell you details about the moment or the day the photo was taken and why it was taken.

Because none of the photos were of great quality, I chose to create one large piece with all of them instead of showcasing each one separately. I ended up cutting each photo into an oval shape and arranging them in a spiral (above).

To fill in the space around the spiral, I incorporated the names of most of the places I have either visited or lived over the course of my life so far. Hence the name of the piece: "So Far".

I also wrote a poem to accompany my piece in the show:

Her Feet
by Josie Pickens
Tiny feet waving in the air,
Wiggling and curling wrinkly toes.
She can make them touch her nose.
One day, those feet won their lifetime's role
Of having the floor meet their eager soles.
They carried her from mom to dad;
It was the most fun she'd ever had.
Over the years, her feet traveled much,
Through mud and creeks and grass and such.
They ran, they swam, they walked, they kicked.
On planes and trains and cars they tripped;
They crossed the ocean and went for a dip.
They carried her to all sorts of places:
Big cities, small towns, and huge natural formations.
In her old age, she felt content
That her feet had touched three continents.
Her feet don't travel far any more;
They're tired, swollen, callused, and sore.
Her journeys put them to the test,
And now, all they'll do is rest.
The experience of planning and preparing for this gallery show with some good (and new) friends was a memorable one. I consider myself fortunate to know such talented people.

No comments: