Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Coffee Brews: Gevalia Traditional Roast

Gevalia Traditional Roast


Since I got my first coffee grinder last summer, I've been enjoying the freshly-ground-coffee experience in general. I've also been discovering which coffees I truly find to be delicious and which I can live without. I've decided to document them on here, both for my own reference and for anyone else that might be interested.

This week, I ran out of my favorite coffee bean thus far and had to purchase some more. Without a trip to the south side of Ann Arbor for those freshly-roasted Zingerman's beans, I had to make do with what I could find at Kroger.

For a long time before I moved to Ann Arbor, I drank Gevalia's ground French roast regularly - made in a French press or single cup cone. This time, I decided to go back to Gevalia, both because it was on sale and I was curious about grinding their Traditional Roast myself.
Gevalia Traditional Roast


The beans seemed to be a lighter shade of brown and extra dry. (Not nearly as fresh as the ones I've been buying, which is exactly why I'm documenting these coffee experiences.)

Upon grinding the beans, I found the aroma to be less than spectacular. You know when you smell good coffee: you immediately want to brew a whole pot and drink it all by yourself because it smells that good.

I didn't feel that way about this coffee and that should have been a sign. It claims to be a medium roast, but it definitely is more on the lighter side. I like my coffee to have a little more "oomph".

All in all, I've found that I don't much care for this brew: Gevalia Traditional Roast. Sorry, guys.

No comments: