Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Substitute Teaching: Day 3

Day 3: Friday, March 6, 2009
This call to sub came on Thursday evening, which gave me much more time to prepare. The teacher I subbed for was a Management and Business Math teacher with a full load of classes. Two of the classes were working on a presentation about the stocks of major companies, and therefore were scheduled to be in computer labs. It was interesting to walk around the room and take a peek at the stock graphs that each student had from companies like McDonalds, Verizon, AT&T, Home Depot, Caterpillar, etc. Most of the graphs showed a nearly steady decline starting around October or November of last year. One other class was held in a regular classroom and they just had book work to do.
The rest of the day was made up of 25-minute computer classes. (During 4, 5, 6, and 7, the lunch periods are split in half. The students spend half the period in the cafeteria and the other half in a study hall or a computer skills class.) The students just worked on some assignments on the computer until the bell rang.
This time, my 8th period was for Prep so I didn't have to stay the whole day. I had plenty of time to hop on my bike and get to my other job after school. On my way out, I ran into my Biology teacher from freshman year. It turns out that he had my little sister and when I told him her name, he laughed and said that "She was a HOOT". Yep, that's my sister!
One of the things that made the day more interesting was the fact that we couldn't find the teacher's lesson plans anywhere in the morning. The Sub Coordinator and I had to go around to a few different classrooms to figure out which computer lab or classroom I was supposed to be in for first period. She eventually got a copy from the department head right before the bell rang, and the rest of the day went smoothly.

No comments: